Saturday, May 12, 2007

I'm back and the kitchen is clean

So last week during a thunderstorm our computer was fried by lightening! It was terrible, I went over a week without the internet. I wish I could say I caught up the housework during that time but instead I learned that its not just the computer that keeps me from doing housework. I just don't like doing it and I will avoid it, with or without excuses. I manage to maintain things but the house is never spotless. I envy the housewives I see on Wife Swap who keep their house meticulously clean. Who has that kind of energy and motivation? Its very defeating to clean with three little monsters coming along behind me tearing things up just as I put them straight.

Several days ago I had an epiphany. Although the boys tear the rest of the house apart, they don't create havoc in the kitchen. They don't dump dirty dishes in the sink and they don't clutter up the counters. AH HA, says I. I can keep the kitchen clean! So today is day three. I've been keeping the kitchen nearly spotless, washing dishes regularly throughout the day and keeping the counters wiped down. Its very refreshing, when the rest of the house looks like a tornado has just gone through it I can go sit at the kitchen table and enjoy the tranquility of ONE clean room. My goal is to keep it up for 21 days, thats how long they say it takes to form a habit.

No comments: