Monday, July 16, 2007

My job...

I love my kids. I would do anything for them. But some days, I wish I could call in. I wish I could call my boss and say "I CAN'T TAKE IT TODAY! I NEED the rest of the day off! I'm taking a mental health day!" But thats not an option in my profession. I'm on the job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year until my charges leave home. It is draining and exhausting.

But then there are the little things. After a day of exploding poopy diapers, strawberry quik powder strewn from kitchen to bathroom, 2 year olds refusing naptime, and every book in the house being pulled from the bookshelves and strewn on the floor, somehow they still warm your heart.

As I'm reading their recent bedtime favorite, How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?, I can't help but smile that after each rhetorical question "Do they swing their neck from side to side? Do they up and demand a piggy back ride?" the chorus of "NO!"s coming from my little munchkins. Then after I kiss them goodnight and walk out the door and both of them in unison sing "I love you too Mama!" Its like they washed away their sins of the day. How can one stay upset with children like that?

No comments: