Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Officially schooling

Well we've been doing it for awhile now but I haven't blogged about it yet. Hunter and I are doing Saxon Phonics K. I originally started him with "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" but I wasn't crazy about it. It was pretty boring to me and I didn't think it was a very inclusive phonics program, it did just what it says-- teaches your child to read.

So we're 3 weeks into Phonics K and I really like it. I love how it includes different aspects of well, phonics I guess into the lessons. Every day we discuss vowels and consenants (why can't I spell that word?) and work on distinguishing whether words rhyme, two parts of compound words, number of words in a sentence, etc.. Its really been great.

And the best part? Hunter loves it! He is soaking up the information like a sponge. I am amazed and impressed at how easy he is to teach... I'm afraid of how difficult the others will be, I know they'll not all be this easy! He has really grasped the letters and their sounds and he will be learning to read 'log' tomorrow so I'm really excited about that.

He has a much harder time with numbers though, we can't get past 2 on number recognition and I'm not really pushing it although I do go over it every day. He can count accurately to 10 though-- not just saying the numbers but counting items so I know he understands the concepts behind using numbers. He will also set the table for dinner and get out the right number of utensils according to the number of people that will be at the table so I know he GETS it he just can't seem to grasp number recognition yet.

But it is fun, we're ALL learning right now. I'm learning how to do this.. it is more work than I thought!

No comments: