Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Schooling, unschooling, homeschooling...

Today Hunter and I resumed working on his phonics program. Yeah we've taken a couple month hiatus. I don't know why I get so unmotivated. I guess I"m the only one, because he was SO excited we did THREE lessons in a row! He really wanted to start learning a new letter (the program has you learn one new letter a week) In the meantime he's learned the numbers 1-10 entirely on his own. He is learning how to read a calendar just by asking questions. He looks at a clock (granted it is digital but still..) and knows that the first number means it is X:o-clock, which he picked up on his own as well. I'm starting to give some credence to the whole 'unschooling' thing. He naturally learns things he is interested in. I was going to buy a math curriculum for next year but I think we're going to do more natural things and see where it goes- get a clock for his room and talk about the time, pay more attention to the calendar, discuss the fractions on measuring cups when cooking, etc...

Way cool.

Oh and we made masks to go along with learning the letter 'm' today and used stickers to decorate them. I left the stickers out because he wanted to put stickers on paper and now he is in there using the stickers to make pictures (like putting many stickers together to create stick people) How creative! I'm a proud mama.

1 comment:

MarysCwby said...

That's so cool! Makes it nice that he's so willing to learn and have you teach him, wish I could've been like that when mom was teaching me. ;)