Friday, March 23, 2007

What a night!

I awake in at 2 a.m. to go to the bathroom. As I move to get up, the baby (who sleeps with Jason and I) starts fussing. If he makes too much noise, he'll wake Jason, who has to wake up for his 1 1/2 hour commute in 2 hours. So I grab the baby and take him with me to the bathroom... Then settle back into bed.

At 2:15 my bedroom door flies open and my 4 year old Hunter is dancing around in my doorway, the urgent "I have to pee right now" dance. So I jump out of bed and turn the bathroom light on for him. Crawl back into bed... 5 minutes later he's calling me from his bed, I try to ignore him. No luck. He gets louder and I'm afraid he'll wake everyone else. So I run in there... oh, he wants to give me a good night kiss (at 2 a.m.) So I give him a kiss and go get once again settled back in bed.

Now its 2:30, I've ALMOST dozed back off when I hear coughing... never a good sign. The coughing continues and then I hear the unmistakable sound of a child vomiting. I literally FLY out of bed, hoping that somehow I can catch it before it hits the sheets and pajamas. My 2 year old Nathan is sitting in the middle of his bed, surrounded by his dinner and crying his little eyes out. Motherly instinct immediately kicks in, most fathers would not even know where to start. Grab the kid, take him in the bathroom, strip him down, wash him off in the sink, get clean pj's and dress him. Get him comfy on the couch. Strip the bed, rinse the sheets, and start a load of laundry. Disinfect mattress, put on clean sheets and ONE blanket, NO toys, and replace child. Preventative maintenance for future expulsions. He lies right down and goes back to sleep.

Amazingly, I was able to make it til morning without further interruption.

Even now, while I type this blog my 4 year old is sitting beside me (I believe he's waiting his turn for the computer!) And the baby is on my lap.

Ahhh the thrills of motherhood. Who needs extreme sports?

No comments: